Updated and Effective From: March 21, 2017
Association of Surfing Professionals LLC d/b/a World Surf League and its related bodies corporate (collectively referred to as WSL and individually referred to as a WSL Entity), support the protection of your rights to privacy as a fundamental element of its governance of professional surfing worldwide and the relationship it has with its members. WSL is committed to maintaining the highest standards of privacy and security in the way in which it conducts business. With regard to the privacy of any personal information, WSL pledges to conduct business according to the following principles, which apply in their entirety to the World Surf League online and mobile sites and applications (each a “WSL Digital Site” and collectively the “WSL Digital Sites”).
The WSL Digital Sites do not knowingly solicit, obtain, retain or use any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 years. Accordingly, children under the age of 13 may be restricted from participating in certain features on the WSL Digital Assets. If WSL is made aware that we have collected Personal Information (as defined below) from a child under 13 years of age in a manner that is inconsistent with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, WSL will delete this information as soon as possible. For more details on WSL’s policy with respect to children, please see our terms and conditions of use accessible at http://www.worldsurfleague.com/pages/terms-conditions.
1. Personal Information
2. Collection of Personal Information and other information
You are not generally obliged to provide Personal Information about yourself when you when you visit a WSL Digital Site. If WSL requires Personal Information, it is generally collected directly from you. Personal Information is usually collected during the course of WSL’s relationship with you, and may be provided by you in correspondence (e.g. letter, form, email); through a WSL Digital Site; by entering competitions, events, promotions, applications, gaming portals or membership application; or by your giving WSL such information in person. Generally, the type of Personal Information WSL collects about you, and to which you hereby consent, may include:
- Your full name;
- Your sex;
- Mailing address;
- Telephone number;
- E-mail address;
- Financial Information such as credit card or bank details;
- Next of Kin;
- Geo location information;
- Unique identifiers such as a user name or password;
- Communication preferences;
- Search queries;
- Comments and other information posted onto an interactive online forum; and
- Any other information otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
WSL may also collect certain other information automatically when you visit a WSL Digital Site including:
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address which can sometimes also be used to derive your general geographic area;
- Other unique identifiers such as mobile device identification numbers, domain name of your internet or wireless service provider and type of device used to access a WSL Digital Site;
- Browser type and settings and operating system used;
- Webpages you visit within the WSL Digital Sites or sites you visited before or after you visit the WSL Digital Sites;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, pixels Local Shared Objects and other technologies; and
- Standard server log information.
Use of Information collected
WSL will only use information that it collects for the following purposes or as required by law:
- to provide you with information about WSL events, promotions, functions, products or entries;
- to notify you regarding WSL event or membership issues;
- to be able to respond to questions or comments you have;
- to contact you via email and otherwise about your account on a WSL Digital Site and about products, services and events that may be of interest to you;
- to customize and personalize your use of the WSL Digital Sites;
- to enable you to enter contests or events that WSL promotes or conducts;
- to pay you prize money or other applicable payments;
- to assist in administration matters relating to insurance;
- to administer all WSL events and tours efficiently;
- to contact you for discipline purposes as stipulated in the WSL rulebook;
- to contact you urgently for any reason deemed necessary;
- to market the WSL Digital Assets or WSL events, sponsors, promotions and functions and to send you promotional materials or special offers on our behalf or on behalf of our sponsors or marketing partners and their subsidiaries and affiliates;
- to publish stories, comments, photos or other information posted in any interactive online section of a WSL Digital Site;
- to use information collected through the WSL Digital Sites to evaluate your suitability to participate in surveys or focus groups for the WSL or a sponsor or partner of the WSL and to invite you to participate in any such survey or focus group;
- to research, assess performance and analyze WSL marketing or advertising campaigns on the WSL Digital Sites or otherwise use analysis tools such as but not limited to Google Analytics; or
- in accordance with the United States Digital Advertising Alliance Self-Regulatory Principles.
3. Geo-location information
By accessing the WSL Digital Sites from a mobile phone or through a mobile application, you may be asked to share your precise (GPS level) geo-location information with us so that we can customize your experience on the WSL Digital Sites, or on other sites when we work with a third party mobile ad platform. In most cases, you are able to turn off data collection through your mobile device at any time through the privacy settings on your mobile phone or through the settings in the applicable mobile application.
4. Accuracy, completeness and requests regarding your Personal Information
5. Security of your Personal Information
- Personal information the WSL holds is stored either in hard copy documents or as electronic data. WSL uses generally accepted industry standard reasonable security measures to protect any Personal Information held in any form from misuse, loss, unauthorized access, modification and/or disclosure.
- Physical security is maintained over WSL’s paper and electronic data stores and premises, such as locks and security systems. WSL maintains computer and network security; for example, WSL uses firewalls (security measures for the internet) and other security systems such as user identifiers and passwords to control access to WSL’s computer system.
- Your membership on a WSL Digital Site is password protected and we recommend that you do not divulge your passwords to anyone. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your member name, password and other account information.
- Any information posted or disclosed on a message board or comment section may be viewed and used by other members of the public. If you post any Personal Information in a publicly accessible area of a WSL Digital Site, you do so at your own risk and WSL accepts no liability for the same.
6. Other people's information which you provide to WSL
7. Sharing of Information
8. Cookies and Tagging Technology
- A cookie is a small amount of data that is transferred to your browser by a web server and can only be read by the server that gave it to you. It cannot be executed as code or deliver viruses. Most browsers are initially set to accept cookies. You can set your browser to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it or reject them. It should be noted that should you choose to reject all cookies, it may be more difficult navigating through web sites including the WSL Digital Sites.
- In order to improve the WSL Digital Sites, personalize your experience of the WSL Digital Sites, administer the WSL Digital Sites, allow WSL to analyze trends and user data and gather demographic information, WSL may use "cookies", “web beacons”, “pixels” “Software Development Kits” (“SDKs”) or other “tagging” technology to track your use of the WSL Digital Sites.
- If you wish to find out more about Cookies or other tagging technology, you may like to visit www.allaboutcookies.org, an independent third party resource that explains what cookies are and how you may manage them.
- Please note that WSL has no control over and is not responsible for the content of any other third party website listed herein.
9. Online and Mobile Advertising: Opting Out
- If you wish to know more about interest based advertising, would like to know more about your options or would like to opt-out, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) web-site: http://www.networkadvertising.org. The NAI is a co-operative of online advertising companies who are committed to responsible practices and consumer protection. You may also visit the Digital Advertising Alliance website, www.aboutads.info/choices for more information about what you can do if you do not want to receive internet-based advertising.
- European users can opt out from interest based advertising through the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance website at www.youronlinechoices.eu; and users in Canada can opt-out using the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada site at www.youradchoices.ca.
- Browser and mobile operating systems also provide other privacy and ad-blocking mechanisms We encourage you to review the privacy control settings available in your browser or device platforms settings. Note that some of these controls (such as blocking third-party cookies) may impede the storage of your opt-out preferences. To express your privacy preferences or specific companies you may download and use an opt-out application such as DAA's AppChoices App at http://youradchoices.com/appchoices. You can stop all collection of information by the WSL App on your mobile device by uninstalling the WSL App. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network. Most operating systems such as iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices also provide their own instructions on how to prevent delivery of tailored advertising to your mobile device. Please also review your mobile device’s privacy settings and support materials if you wish to opt-out of tailored advertisements. You can also request to opt-out via email to the contact address set out below.
10. Social Networking
11. Links to other Websites
12. Choice of Law
Any disputes that arise out of your use of the WSL Digital Sites shall be resolved according to the laws of the state of California, USA and the federal and state courts of the state of California shall have exclusive jurisdiction over all claims and actions relating to the WSL Digital Sites.
13. Transfer and Storage of Data
- If you are located in the European Economic Area or the European Union or a country with data protection and/or privacy laws which are different from those in the state of California, please be advised that we may transfer your personal information to countries that may not guarantee the same level of protection for personal information as the one in which you reside.
By giving your information on a WSL Digital Site, you hereby consent to these transfers.
14. California Privacy Rights
- California law permits California residents to request certain information regarding the disclosure of their Personal Information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com or write to us at the address listed below.
- Some web browsers transmit a ‘do not track’ signal or such similar signals to websites that a user may visit or interact with. At present, there is no recognized industry standard concerning what action, if any, a website provider must take with respect to such ‘do not track’ signals. As such, please be advised that, at present, the WSL Digital Sites do not take any action in response to such signals.
147 Bay St,
Santa Monica, CA, 90405
Phone: +1 310 450 1212