The inaugural Big Surf Invitational kicked off tonight with the teams unveiling at the iconic CÃ´te des Basques in Biarritz.
The first call will be held at 11am for a potential start of the first session, an all-women affair that will see half of both teams take it to the water in clean surf. It will be followed by a men's session before lunchtime, then two more sessions later in the afternoon with the dropping tide.
"It's a fun concept that really consists in having a good time and putting on a great show for the huge crowds here in Biarritz," Pauline Ado, former Samsung Galaxy Women's Championship Tour competitor said. "We haven't surfed in Biarritz for a while and everyone is really excited to be here."
With part of the prize-purse being handed over to French association 'Handi Surf' - a non-profit that enables people with disabilities to surf - the competitive atmosphere will be balanced by an overall feeling of surfing for a great cause.
"It's an association that I personally have supported for some time now," Ado continued. "All the surfers here are stoked to take part in this event and the level of both teams is excellent. We should have great conditions tomorrow, the forecast looks excellent and it should be a fun day to promote our sport too."
The red #TeamMauvin will consist of:
- Former World Longboard Title runner-up Coline Menard
- Current Qualifying Series #13 Justine Dupont and #17 Maud Le Car
- Alexandre Lombardo, freesurfer from Reunion Island
- Longboard Tour World #5 Antoine Delpero
- Damien Castera, professional longboarder.
- Charly Martin, current QS ranked #30
Surfing in the blue singlets will be:
- Longboard Tour World #9 Victoria Vergara
- Former QS competitor Amandine Sanchez
- Former Championship Tour athlete and current QS #11 Pauline Ado
- Longboarder Emma Neuschwanger
- QS competitor Romain Laulhe
- Current QS #44 Marc Lacomare
- Current QS #92 Ramzi Boukhiam
About the BIG Festival:
In its seventh year of existence, the BIG Festival has become an intrinsic part of the Basque summer with both international artists and newcomers putting on incredible performances during the nine-days of festivities. The long list of past acts include none other than NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE, WU-TANG CLAN, GEORGE CLINTON, PLACEBO, STROMAE, BAKERMAT, JABBERWOCKY, KLINGANDE, ORELSAN and many more. Find out more and get your tickets via bigfest.fr.