In addition to the dramatic effect the results of the Reef Hawaiian Pro had on the Qualification Series (QS), the first jewel of the Vans Triple Crown also set in motion the Triple Crown ratings. Points earned from the Vans World Cup and the Billabong Pipe Masters will round out the rankings for the series.
Points for Triple Crown are distributed by typical event standards -- 6,500 points for a Prime event and 10,000 for the Pipe Masters. After the Reef Hawaiian Pro, the Top 10 Triple Crown contenders are:
1. Dusty Payne (HAW) - 6,500
2. Julian Wilson (AUS) - 5,200
3. Jeremy Flores (FRA) - 4,450
4. Adam Melling (AUS) - 4,000
5. Raoni Monteiro (BRA) - 3,400
6. Frederico Morais (PRT) - 3,400
7. Torrey Meister (HAW) - 3,200
8. Brett Simpson (USA) - 3,200
9. Bede Durbidge (AUS) - 2,400
10. Jordy Smith (ZAF) - 2,400
(Complete Triple Crown Rankings)
Winning the Vans Triple Crown is a bucket list item for most professional surfers. It's as impactful on a career as it is on a reputation. Tune in to this site to catch all the action of the next event, the Vans World Cup, which begins November 24, 2014.