Friday March 13, 2020
SYDNEY SURF PRO WINNERS
- Due to the rapidly evolving situation with COVID-19, the WSL announced yesterday to cancel all events yet to commence at all Tour levels.
- And with that, the Sydney Surf Pro wrapped yesterday with 4-time World Champ Carissa Moore and Italy's Leo Fiorivanti taking the wins.
- In a buzzer-beater against 2-time World Champ Tyler Wright, Moore earned her third career victory at Manly.
- And in another buzzer-beater win, Fioravanti edged out Matt Banting, laying down his second scoring air reverse in the waning moments of the Final.
- Stay tuned here for updates on when and where WSL competition will resume.
SURFERS REACT TO POSTPONEMENT
- In light of the WSL's decision to postpone all events through March for the safety of athletes, staff and fans, the planet's top surfers are reacting.
- Two-time World Champ John John Florence took to Instagram to say...
- "Bummed we won't get to see everyone at Snapper this year but thank you to the WSL for taking this situation seriously."
- To all the surfers that have spoken up, thank you for your understanding and adding your voice to this important conversation.
- And for more surfer reactions go to WorldSurfLeague.com
ITALO ON SOUNDWAVES
- Italo Ferreira dropped by the WSL offices today.
- The World Champ got an exclusive sneak peak of the new episode of Sound Waves in which he is featured.
- He also discussed topics ranging from Covid-19, to his relationship with shaper Timmy Patterson.
- Stay tuned for more on these topics with Ferreira coming soon.
JOB WINS WAVE OF THE WINTER
- Jamie O'Brien just won his second Surfline O'Neill Wave of the Winter award, the first surfer in the event's ten-year history to do so.
- Reef McIntosh won the 4ocean Wave of the Decade Award for his crazy 2011 mutant at Off The Wall.
- And the North Shore's Moana Jones took home the Women's Overall Performance Award.
- Congrats to all and keep charging!