Who we are
The World Surf League (WSL) is dedicated to celebrating the world's best surfing on the world's best waves through a variety of best-in-class audience platforms. The WSL is a truly global sports and media company with regional offices in Australia, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, and Europe.
In 2016, Kelly Slater Wave Company (KSWC), joined the WSL as an innovative wave technology company. KSWC is the first to develop a formula that combines cutting-edge science, engineering, and design to create the longest, open-barrel, high-performance wave in existence.
In 2018, WSL announced the creation of WSL Studios, focused on being the home of live competitive surf content and the premier place to create short-form, TV series, documentaries and feature films oriented around surfing, surf-lifestyle and ocean conservancy.
Who we look for
We seek innovators, entrepreneurs, disruptors and collaborators who are passionate about their craft. We are an international team comprised of individuals who together are committed to excellence in everything we do. Our connection to the ocean –as our playground and our stadium – fosters an eco-centric mindset. We are a start-up in spirit, which requires agility in risk taking, failing fast and applying new learning. Not a surfer? No sweat! We just want the best and brightest.
What it's like to work here
We are an international, progressive, eco-minded and passionate collective of people bound together through STOKE, love of the ocean, surfing and living life to the fullest. We offer opportunities that may transport you around the world, or may be centered at one of our HQs, including Santa Monica, California or San Diego, California. Working at the WSL means that you are a part our tribe, committed to showcasing the world’s best surfers on the world’s best waves. We are building a culture that appreciates work/life balance, including the need to work out in our gym, go for a quick surf sesh or take a run on the beach. Furry friends welcome!
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere! WSL is an equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V.
Current Job Openings at WSL
Surf RanchHospitality ServerWave Co. Lemoore
The Hospitality Server ensures that guests are comfortable and provide food and beverage service. To ensure the ranch house service is at a quality at all times while preserving a level of guest privacy. To complete all cleaning and preparation to ensure a smooth service at all times.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- To prepare and carry out food and beverage service to guests in a courteous and efficient manner. This includes offering service to guests, regularly checking the floor, this includes all ranch house, decks and surrounding areas.
- To keep back of house and ranch house areas tidy at all times and to regularly clean all associated equipment.
- Mix ingredients to prepare cocktails and other drinks for guest and wash utensils after each use.
- Pour all drinks to the recommended legal standard (correct measure) in the appropriate glassware.
- Clean up after food service including with appropriate chemicals.
- To notify the Director of Guest Services if you observe a particular item of stock is running low.
- To attend training sessions and courses and to assist with the ‘on-the-job’ training of new staff, as required.
- To handle minor complaints in a professional and courteous manner and to provide appropriate solutions. To immediately inform the Director of Guest Services of all cases.
- To read all relevant company literature, notices and other correspondence and to regularly observe ranch and departmental notice-boards.
- To uphold good housekeeping practices, ensuring a safe, clean, tidy and pleasant working environment.
- Previous experience in a F&B or hospitality setting responsible for servicing of guests
- Experience in or around the food industry
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills
- Demonstrate ability to work with all levels of employees and management, and willingness to give assistance to co-workers
- Demonstrate ability to work independently under pressure; proactive thinker/self-starter
- Exceptional work ethic
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible is essential
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary even if limited information is available; willing to take unpopular stands when necessary
- Strong team player
- The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping and crouching.
Surf RanchSecurity GuardWaveCo. Lemoore
We are currently seeking a Part-Time Security Guard at our Lemoore, CA, Surf Ranch location. The overall safety and security of Surf Ranch is critical to the site, staff, and guests, and the Security Guard is responsible for this undertaking. Under the direct supervision of the HSSE Manager, the Security Guard works to keep Surf Ranch safe and secure at all times. This position is responsible for all vehicles and patrons that arrive and depart the site daily. The security of Surf Ranch is critical and can directly affect the overall guest experience. The Surf Ranch Security Guard must have a thorough understanding of the Surf Ranch property lines and all entrances and exits on site. The Security Guard must understand areas of the property that are less secure than others and to monitor those areas accordingly.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Interface with guests and employees as they enter Surf Ranch through the service and main entrances.
- Identify guests as they arrive and ensure that they have an invitation to be onsite.
- Patrol Surf Ranch on a consistent basis.
- Monitor the perimeter fence throughout the day and night.
- Intervene and resolve security threats or issues as they arise.
- Guard position will most likely be the first visual touchpoint upon guest arrival so friendliness, and good attitude are important per Surf Ranch ‘guest service trail’.
- Understand the Surf Ranch property lines, easements etc.
- Understand the Surf Ranch security/emergency evacuation plan.
- Knowledge and understanding of facility locations.
- Ability to resolve conflict when necessary
- Ability to activate the 911 system and request local law enforcement if necessary
- Ability to work different hours of the day including overnight shifts
- Basic Security training
- Prior Security experience preferred
- Team player
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary
- Friendly and positive attitude. Able to interface with guests on a regular basis
- Physically able to sit, stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items weighing 75 pounds or less.
- The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
PartnershipsVP, Business DevelopmentSanta Monica, California
We are looking for a talented Vice President, Business Development to join the Revenue team. The Vice President, Business Development and report directly to our Chief Revenue Officer. The vision for this role is to drive global strategic partnerships and new business development across our multi-platform product offerings. The role is highly entrepreneurial and requires the ability to identify creative partner solutions that will deliver value for the WSL & our partners.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Develop a framework to identify, analyze, evaluate, and execute strategic partnerships and new business prospects globally
- Manage a pipeline, including prospect identification, proposal development, winning the deal and negotiating the contract
- Cultivate new business relationships through a focused and disciplined consultative solution-based sales methodology and approach with prospective partners
- Lead new business assessments, including identification of market entry strategies through external partnerships
- Partner with internal stakeholders in Marketing, Analytics, PR, Digital Product, & WSL Studios to develop innovative pitches, proposals and execute deals and successfully execute the sales strategy
- Influence product decisions based on commercial viability and have the ability to innovate new products that will drive value for the WSL and our partners.
- 8-10 years - media, brand, or sports sponsorship experience required
- Connected with a deep “rolodex” of contacts, and established relationships across a variety of targeted brand categories
- Creative as it pertains to delivering clients clever, innovative, high-value, custom integration packages
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational and negotiating skills
- Able to identify, analyze, and communicate competitive sales strategies
- Strong negotiator with the ability to negotiate effectively and recommend deals/solutions that make sense for all parties involved
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment & remain composed under pressure
- Expertise in Digital/Mobile/OTT media
- Global sports experience desired
- Above all, integrity and honesty
- Passion for Surf and/or understanding of the sport
- Entrepreneurial; willingness to work independently with the best business practices in mind
- An exceptional work ethic and attention to detail
- An enthusiasm for coaching, teaching and the development of people
- Optimism and energy for the brand and its future
- An open and collaborative nature
- A high degree of self-awareness of one’s own personal style, strengths and weaknesses and motivational triggers.
- Intellectual curiosity and enthusiasm for learning.
- Action Oriented—enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available; willing to take unpopular stands when necessary.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: equal opportunity employer M/F/D/V