Updated and Effective From: July 1, 2020
- Advertisements displayed to you on the WSL Digital Sites and elsewhere may be customized to your interests and preferences based on your Personal Data (defined below) collected through the WSL Digital Sites unless you opt out by following the instructions on the NAI Opt-Out Page, the Ad Choices Opt-Out Page, the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada Opt-Out Page, and Your Online Choices from the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance. (You may have to opt out using each of your web browsing applications and devices separately.) However, if you opt out, we may still suggest offerings to you on the WSL Digital Sites based on your history at the WSL Digital Sites.
- You may have the right to opt in or to opt out of certain uses and disclosures of your Personal Data as described below, including in the Opt-Out Rights section.
1. Access by Children
2. Personal Data and Other Information We Collect
We collect different categories of information about you (including Personal Data) from different sources, including information you provide and usage information about your visits to the WSL Digital Sites. In some circumstances, WSL collects Personal Data about you from a third-party source, such as streaming or social media platforms or if WSL runs a competition or event in conjunction with a third-party co-promoter and you provide your Personal Data to the third party.
a. Information collected from you
- Your full name;
- Your sex;
- Mailing address;
- Telephone number;
- E-mail address;
- Nationality or citizenship;
- Social Security number or other government identification numbers;
- Financial or payment card information such as credit card or bank details;
- Next of kin and their contact information;
- Job history and application information;
- Transaction history;
- Geo-location information;
- Unique identifiers such as a username or password, device identifiers and cookies;
- Communication preferences;
- Interests, hobbies, and demographic information;
- Search queries;
- Comments and other information posted onto an interactive online forum or included in your communications with us; and
- Any other information otherwise described to you at the point of collection or which you elect to provide to us.
b. Information collected automatically when you visit a WSL Digital Site
WSL (or its service providers or partners) may also collect certain other information (which may include Personal Data) automatically about your visits or activities when you visit a WSL Digital Site including:
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address which can sometimes also be used to get your general geographic area;
- Other unique identifiers such as mobile device identification numbers, domain name of your internet or wireless service provider and type of device used to access a WSL Digital Site;
- Browser type and settings and operating system used;
- Webpages you visit within the WSL Digital Sites or sites you visited before or after you visit the WSL Digital Sites;
- The content or ads you see or click on during your visit and when and for how long you do so, items you download;
- The next website or other online property you visit when you leave the WSL Digital Sites, and any search terms you have entered on the WSL Digital Sites or a referral service or website or other online property;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, pixels, Local Shared Objects and other technologies; and
- Standard server log information.
Among other things, this information enables us to generate analytics reports on the usage of the WSL Digital Sites. Other analytic service providers such as Google Analytics provide services which analyze information regarding visits to the WSL Digital Sites. To opt out of your WSL Digital Site usage being included in our Google Analytics reports, please visit the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on page and install the add-on for your browser.
c. Geo-location information
By accessing the WSL Digital Sites from a mobile phone, through a mobile application or another GPS-equipped device, you may be asked to share your precise (GPS level) geo-location information with us. This enables us, among other things, to customize your experience on the WSL Digital Sites or on other sites when we work with a third-party mobile ad platform. In most cases, you are able to turn off precise geo-location data collection through your device at any time through the privacy settings on your device or through the settings in the applicable mobile application.
d. Cookies and Tagging Technology
- A pixel tag (also known as a “clear GIF” or “web beacon”) is a tiny image – typically just one-pixel – that can be placed on a website page or in our electronic communications to you in order to help us measure the effectiveness of our content by, for example, counting the number of individuals who visit us online or verifying whether you’ve opened one of our emails or seen one of the WSL Digital Sites.
- HTML5 (the language some websites are coded in) may be used to store information on your computer or device about your WSL Digital Site usage activities. This information can be retrieved by us to determine how the WSL Digital Sites are being used by our visitors, how they can be improved, and to customize them for our users.
These technologies enable us to assign a unique number or persistent identifier to you, your household or device and relate information about your usage of WSL Digital Sites to other information about you, including your Personal Data. These technologies also enable us to recognize you when you access the WSL Digital Sites using different web browsers and different computers or devices.
3. Use of Information collected
WSL may use the information that it collects from or about you for the following business purposes and functions or as required by law:
- to provide you with information about events, promotions, functions, products, services, entries, contests, competitions or other offerings (of ours or of others) that may be of interest to you, and to enable you to register for, purchase or participate in such offerings;
- to notify you regarding a WSL event or membership issues;
- to respond to requests, questions or comments you have;
- to send you newsletters or updates for tours, events, promotions or content that you have previously signed on to receive;
- to contact you via email, text message and otherwise about your account on a WSL Digital Site, applications, transactions or relationship with us or an event or competition you registered for;
- to process and fulfill your transactions or requests;
- to customize and personalize your use of the WSL Digital Sites;
- to enable you to enter contests or events that WSL promotes or conducts;
- to pay you prize money or other applicable payments;
- to assist in administration matters relating to events you may participate in;
- to administer all WSL events and tours efficiently;
- to contact you for discipline purposes as stipulated in the WSL rulebook;
- to contact you for any reason deemed necessary or appropriate, as permitted by law;
- to market WSL events, sponsors, promotions and functions and to send you promotional materials or special offers on our behalf or on behalf of our sponsors or marketing partners and their affiliates and other third parties, which may include tailoring ads displayed to you on the WSL Digital Sites and elsewhere to your interests and history with us and on other online properties;
- to publish stories, comments, photos or other information posted in any interactive online section of a WSL Digital Site;
- to evaluate your suitability to participate in surveys or focus groups for the WSL or a sponsor or partner of the WSL and to invite you to participate in any such survey or focus group;
- for research and development purposes related to our business and offerings;
- to research, assess performance of and analyze WSL marketing or advertising campaigns on the WSL Digital Sites or otherwise use analytics tools such as but not limited to Google Analytics;
- to protect and enforce the rights, property or safety of WSL or others; or
- other limited transactional purposes or other purposes disclosed when Personal Data is collected by us.
To perform the above functions, we may match information collected from you through different means or at different times, including Personal Data and usage information, and use such information along with information obtained from other sources (including third parties) and publicly accessible information (such as information available publicly on the internet).
4. Sharing of Information
We may share the information (including Personal Data) we collect from or about you with others for a variety of reasons. In addition to the kinds of information sharing you might expect, such as sharing what you voluntarily post to public areas on the WSL Digital Sites with other users of the WSL Digital Sites, we may share your information (including any of the types listed above), or allow your information to be collected by third parties on the WSL Digital Sites, in the following circumstances:
- To our affiliates.
- With advertising networks, streaming platforms and/or social media platforms for the purposes of selecting and serving relevant adverts to you via those networks/platforms, and to search engine and analytics providers.
- To third parties such as co-sponsors or promoters of WSL events for their marketing or other uses, unless you instruct us not to by following the instructions in the Opt-Out Rights section below.
- To academic, non-profit or similar organizations for research purposes.
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect the rights or property of WSL or others, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government, judicial or other legal request, or to comply with the law.
- In connection with a corporate change or dissolution, including for example a merger, acquisition, reorganization, consolidation, bankruptcy, liquidation, sale of assets or wind down of business.
5. Opt-Out Requests
You may have the right to opt in or to opt out of certain uses and disclosures of your Personal Data. For example, when you are asked to provide Personal Data on the WSL Digital Sites, you may have the opportunity to elect to, or not to, receive certain messages from us by email. You may opt out of receiving our promotional messages by clicking on an opt-out link within the email you receive or revising your preferences on the "profile" section of your account on the WSL Digital Sites. You may opt out of our sharing your information in the future with third parties for their marketing purposes by changing your preferences in the Cookie Preference center or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Please understand that it may take us a few days to process any opt-out request and that even if you opt out of receiving promotional correspondence from us, we may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with us.
6. Accuracy, Completeness and Deletion Requests
If you are a California resident or are located in the European Union or a similar jurisdiction, you may have certain additional access or deletion rights as described in the applicable jurisdiction-specific section below.
Your rights to access or delete your information are subject to our records retention policies and applicable law.
7. Other people's information which you provide to WSL
While we endeavor to protect the security and integrity of sensitive Personal Data collected via the WSL Digital Sites, due to the inherent nature of the internet as an open global communications vehicle, we cannot guarantee that any information, during transmission through the internet or while stored on our system or otherwise in our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers.
If you correspond with us by email, text message, or using web forms like a “contact us” feature on the WSL Digital Sites, you should be aware that your transmission might not be secure. A third party could view the information you send in transit by such means. We will have no liability for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorized acts of third parties during or after transmission.
Your account on a WSL Digital Site is password-protected, and you should not divulge your passwords to anyone. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your member name, password and other account information, and you shall be responsible for any activity that occurs using your account credentials, whether or not you authorized such activity. Please notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security. Any information posted or disclosed on a message board or comment section may be viewed and used by other members of the public. If you post any Personal Data in a publicly accessible area of a WSL Digital Site, you do so at your own risk and WSL accepts no liability for the same.
9. Online and Mobile Advertising: Opting Out
We use third party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit the WSL Digital Sites and other online properties. These companies may use information about your visits to the WSL Digital Sites and other online properties over time, the region of the country or world where your IP address indicates you are located, and other information about you in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. These companies may employ cookies, clear GIFs and other tracking technologies to cause relevant ads to be displayed to you. We encourage you to read these businesses’ privacy policies to learn about how they treat your information.
For example, Facebook is an advertising partner and may collect and use data about your online activities to display advertisements on WSL Digital Sites or elsewhere. For more information and to control the Facebook ads you see, visit https://m.facebook.com/ads/audience_network.
If you wish to know more about interest-based advertising, would like to know more about your options or would like to opt-out, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”. NAI is a co-operative of online advertising companies who are committed to responsible practices and consumer protection. You may also visit the Digital Advertising Alliance for more information about what you can do if you do not want to receive interest-based advertising.
European users can opt out from interest-based advertising through the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance; and users in Canada can opt out using the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada site.
To opt out of interest-based advertising, you may have to opt out using each of your web browsing applications and devices separately. If you opt out, we may still suggest offerings to you on the WSL Digital Sites based on your history at the WSL Digital Sites.
Browser and mobile operating systems also provide other privacy and ad-blocking mechanisms. Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” (DNT) signals to the websites with which the user communicates. We encourage you to review the privacy control settings available in your browser or device platforms settings. Note that some of these controls (such as blocking third-party cookies) may affect the storage of your opt-out preferences. To express your privacy preferences for certain companies you may download and use an opt-out application such as DAA's AppChoices App.
Because of differences in how web browsers incorporate and activate DNT signals, it is not always clear whether users intend for these signals to be transmitted, or whether they even are aware of them. We currently do not change our tracking practices (which are explained in more detail above) in response to DNT settings in your web browser. We do share the DNT settings with all third-party ad networks and publishers who accept them. Our third-party partners, such as web analytics companies and third-party ad networks, collect information about your online activities over time and across the Services and other online properties. These third parties may not change their tracking practices in response to DNT settings in your web browser and we do not obligate these parties to do so.
You can stop all future collection of information by a WSL mobile app on your mobile device by uninstalling that WSL mobile app. You may use the standard uninstall processes as may be available as part of your mobile device or via the mobile application marketplace or network. Most operating systems such as iOS for Apple phones, Android for Android devices and Windows for Microsoft devices also provide their own instructions on how to prevent delivery of tailored advertising to your mobile device. Please also review your mobile device’s privacy settings and support materials if you wish to opt out of tailored advertisements. You can also request to opt out via email to the contact address set out below.
10. Social Networking
11. Links to other Websites
12. California Privacy Rights
If you are a California Resident, California law may provide you with additional rights regarding your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit our Privacy Notice for California Residents.
13. Privacy Rights under European Law and Similar Jurisdictions
Such rights also include, where certain conditions are met:
- the right to request access to the Personal Data we hold about you,
- the right to have inaccurate information about you amended or updated,
- the right to object to processing of Personal Data about you,
- the right to withdraw consent at any time (where relevant),
- the right to have Personal Data about you erased or to restrict processing in certain limited situations,
- the right to data portability and to request the transmission of Personal Data about you to another organization,
- the right to object to automated decision making that materially impacts you, direct marketing, and processing for research or statistical purposes, and
- the right to lodge complaints with applicable data supervisory authorities, in particular in the EU Member State or related jurisdiction of your habitual residence, place of work or of an alleged infringement of applicable law.
a. Legal Basis for Processing Personal Data
We use the Personal Data of Data Subjects where there is an appropriate lawful basis. Typically this means we will only process Personal Data where it is necessary (i) for us to perform a contract with you or in order to take preparatory steps to enter into a contract, (ii) for compliance with a legal and/or regulatory obligation, or (iii) for our legitimate interests or the legitimate interests of others (including legal, investigatory, personnel, administrative and management purposes) and this does not override your rights and freedoms.
In rare cases, we may process Personal Data of Data Subjects: (i) for the protection of your interests (or someone else’s interests) or (ii) where it is needed in the public interest. We will only process “special category personal data” where a further condition is also met.
b. Disclosure & Retention of Data Subjects’ Personal Data
c. Storage & Transfer of Data Subjects’ Personal Data
We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards designed to protect Data Subjects’ Personal Data, prevent unlawful or unauthorized processing of personal information, and prevent unauthorized disclosure of, or accidental loss of, or damage to, such information. We restrict access to non-public Personal Data about Data Subjects to those of our employees and agents who need to know the information to enable us to provide services.
We may process personal information in, and transfer Personal Data to, countries that may not guarantee the same level of protection for Personal Data as the country in which Data Subjects reside. Personal Data will also be processed by staff who work for us and operate outside country where you reside. This includes staff engaged in, among other things, the provision of administration and support services. All such staff are subject to appropriate confidentiality and security obligations.
We will only transfer Personal Data to third party service providers if they agree to comply with the physical, electronic and procedural safeguards described above, or if they put in place adequate measures themselves.
d. Data Subject Access Rights
You can manage your account information, make changes to the information that you have provided WSL or delete your account in the preferences section of the website. If you want further details about your personal information held by WSL and how it is used, please make a request using this Request Form.
15. How to Contact Us
Association of Surfing Professionals LLC dba World Surf League
149 Bay St,
Santa Monica, CA, 90405