The Mavericks Challenge event window will open November 1 and run through March 31. In the men's division, 24 competitors are divided into four heats of six surfers for the first round. Heats are generally 45 minutes and surfers may catch as many waves as they wish with a panel of five judges scoring each ride on a scale of 1 to 10.
Each competitor's two best waves are counted, with their best wave being doubled. The three highest scoring surfers advance on to the semifinals, which run in the same format. The final heat is generally one hour in length.
The women's division runs on a similar format with 10 competitors participating in two five-surfer semifinals with the top three in each advancing to their final. The official list of seeds, invitees and alternates for the Men's and Women's Division of the 2018/19 Mavericks Challenge have been announced.
Mavericks Challenge Competitor List:
- WSL Big Wave Tour Top Ten Seeds: Billy Kemper, Kai Lenny, Ian Walsh, Makuakai Rothman, Lucas Chianca, Jamie Mitchell, Tom Lowe, Alex Botelho, Greg Long, Natxo Gonzalez
- Injury Wildcard: Will Skudin
- BWA Performer of the Year Qualifiers: Grant Baker, Nathan Florence, Jojo Roper, Russell Bierke
- Mavericks Event Invitees: Travis Payne, Patrick Shaughnessy, Matt Becker, Anthony Tashnick, Jason Stark, Hunter Murrison
- WSL Big Wave Tour Invitees: Peter Mel, Nic Lamb, One to be selected on Green Light
- WSL Women's Big Wave Tour Four Seeds: Paige Alms, Keala Kennelly, Justine Dupont, Bianca Valenti
- BWA Women's Performer of the Year Qualifier: Maya Gabeira
- Mavericks Event Women's Invitees: Sarah Gerhardt, Emily Erickson, Andrea Moller, Jamilah Star, One WSL Commissioner Selection TBD
- BWA Performer of the Year Alternate: Ryan Hipwood
- Mavericks Event Invitee Alternates: Tyler Fox, Luca Padua, Ryan Seelbach, Colin Dwyer, Ben Andrews, Kyle Thiermann