Competition Update: The Big Wave Tour calls the Nazaré Challenge on Yellow Alert. With a favorable swell, the event is projected to run on Friday, November 16.
For the first Round, 24 competitors are divided into four heats of six surfers. Heats are generally 45 minutes and surfers may catch as many waves as they wish with a panel of five judges scoring each ride on a scale of 1 to 10.
Each competitor's two best waves are counted, with their best wave being doubled. The three highest scoring surfers advance on to the semifinals, which run in the same format. The final heat is generally one hour in length.
The Nazare Challenge event window runs from October 1, 2018 through March 31, 2019.
Nazaré Challenge Competitor List:
- WSL Big Wave Tour Top Ten Seeds: Billy Kemper, Kai Lenny, Ian Walsh, Makuakai Rothman, Lucas Chianca, Jamie Mitchell, Tom Lowe, Alex Botelho, Greg Long, Natxo Gonzalez
- Injury Wildcard: Will Skudin
- BWA Performer of the Year Qualifiers: Grant Baker, Nathan Florence, Jojo Roper, Russell Bierke
- Nazaré Event Invitees: João De Macedo, Rodrigo Koxa, Antonio Silva, Hugo Vau, Nic von Rupp, João Guedes
- WSL Big Wave Tour Invitees: Three to be selected on Green Light