WSL stars Owen Wright, Mikey Wright, Wade Carmichael, Adrian Buchan, Ryan Callinan, Ethan Ewing and Tyler Wright are just a few big names to have been entered on team sheets for the 2019 Nudie Australian Boardriders Battle Final at Newcastle Main Beach on February 16-17.
Other household surfing names like Joel Parkinson (Snapper), Stu Kennedy (Le Ba), Adam Melling (Le Ba), Dion Atkinson (South Coast), Bede Durbidge (Point Lookout), Shane Bevan (North Shore), Jay Thompson (Burleigh), Lee Winkler(Coffs Harbour), Luke Egan(Merewether), Soli Bailey (Byron Bay), Nikki Van Dijk (Phillip Island), Bronte Macaulay (Margaret River) and Macy Callaghan (North Shelley) are also confirmed on team sheets.
Adrian Buchan and Wade Carmichael (2018 WSL Men's Tour Rookie of the Year) join QS stars Sandon Whitaker, Kirra-belle Olsson, Caleb Tancred and Finn Hill on the Avoca Boardriders Club in what will be a hard team to beat.
"The nudie Australian Boardriders Battle is amazing in that as individual surfers we get to go into a team environment with our club and that brings out a lot of passion," said Wade Carmichael. "We (Avoca) have won it before and would love to win it again. Our team can match it with any other club that's for sure so we say bring it on!"
The final vacant position in the National Final will be filled by the winner of the nudie Trials on Saturday (Feb 16th) morning with local clubs Bay Area Boardriders, Frenchmens Boardriders, East End Boardriders and Redhead Boardriders.
The twenty-four qualified clubs are:
- SNAPPER ROCKS SURFRIDERS CLUB (QLD)
- POINT LOOKOUT BOARDRIDERS CLUB (QLD)
- BURLEIGH HEADS BOARDRIDERS CLUB QLD)
- NORTH SHORE BOARDRIDERS CLUB (QLD)
- ELOUERA BOARDRIDERS CLUB (NSW)
- SCARBOROUGH BOARDRIDERS CLUB (NSW)
- MAROUBRA UNITED BOARDRIDERS (NSW)
- NORTH STEYNE BOARDRIDERS (NSW)
- AVOCA BOARDRIDERS (NSW)
- NORTH AVALON SURFRIDERS ASSOCIATION (NSW)
- LE-BA BOARDRIDERS (NSW)
- COFFS HARBOUR BOARDRIDERS (NSW)
- BYRON BAY BOARDRIDERS (NSW)
- MARGARET RIVER BOARDRIDERS CLUB (WA)
- BONDI BOARDRIDERS (NSW)
- SEAFORD BOARDRIDERS (SA)
- TORQUAY BOARDRIDERS CLUB (VIC)
- SOUTH ARM BOARDRIDERS (TAS)
- CULBURRA BEACH BOARDRIDERS CLUB (NSW)
- MEREWETHER SURFBOARD CLUB (NSW)
- NORTH NARRABEEN BOARDRIDERS CLUB (NSW)
- NORTH SHELLY BOARDRIDERS CLUB (NSW)
- PHILLIP ISLAND BOARDRIDERS CLUB (VIC)
- NUDIE TRIALS WINNER (NSW)
The nudie Australian Boardriders Battle is the country's biggest grassroots boardriders event, involving more than 60 of Australia's best boardriders clubs. Taking place across eight state qualifying rounds, 24 qualifying clubs will come together at the National Final in Newcastle in February to decide who'll be crowned Australia's best boardriding club.
The series is officially sanctioned by the World Surf League (WSL), which allows Australian WSL World Tour surfers (men and women) the opportunity to represent their local boardriders club at respective State qualifying events and the National Final.