January 21, 2020
SAN FRANCISCO SURF STOKE
- This season San Francisco 49er Raheem Mostert made a name for himself with his surfy endzone celebration…
- Which kind of makes sense considering he grew up in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.
- In fact, it was reported by The Athletic in 2018, that when he was in high school, Billabong dangled a contract in front of him.
- It looks like things worked out just fine going the football route, because instead of surfing alongside Italo and Griff he's headed to the Super Bowl.
- The last time a Florida surfer was this successful in the City By the Bay? How about when Kelly Slater clinched his 11th World Title in 2011?
FLORES SCORES HOSSEGOR
- Over in the Atlantic, France has been lighting up lately.
- Jeremy Flores, Marc Lacomare and friends just scored some epic, heaving Hossegor barrels.
- Just maybe this is how Flores--a Pipe Master and winner at Teahupoo--got so comfortable in the tube...
- It's also a great reminder that Hossegor is definitely not your run-of-the-mill beachbreak.
GOLD COAST TRAINING DAYS
- We haven't seen a proper cyclone swell light up the Gold Coast yet this season, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been some impressive surfing going on Down Under.
- Ethan Ewing appears primed for the 2020 Championship Tour when it kicks off on the Gold Coast this March.
- And Occy, Mitch Crews and Liam O'Brien also got in on the action.
KIRA STANLEY CELEBRATION OF LIFE
- Finally, friends and family gathered in Encinitas, California, last weekend to celebrate the life of Kira Stanley and to say goodbye.
- Over the course of her battle with cancer her bravery and determination inspired everyone from Kelly Slater to the local surfers in her community. Ride easy, Kira.