Tuesday, February 11th, 2020
LENNY, DUPONT SHINE AT NAZARE
- It was a monumental day in Portugal as the Nazare Tow Surfing Challenge Presented by Jogos Santa Casa went off in 40- to 50-foot surf.
- 19 of the most elite big wave surfers were paired up in tow teams to battle it out in a six-hour, no-elimination expression session.
- In a new format, where winners were judged by their fellow competitors at an athlete reception afterwards, the Rides of the Day went to Kai Lenny and Justine Dupont.
- The Best Team award went to the "Young Bulls" -- comprised of Lenny and Lucas "Chumbo" Chianca.
- And finally, the well-earned Commitment Award went to the badass, hard-working Water Safety Team.
- For the full replay, results and all the highlights head on over to the site.
ALEX BOTELHO UPDATE
- Today, Portuguese surfer Alex Botelho was involved in a serious incident in the impact zone at Nazare.
- After being rescued by the Water Safety Team he was rushed to a nearby hospital.
- Alex is currently in stable condition, conscious and continuing to undergo observation.
- It was a serious day of surfing at Nazare and we are wishing him a full and speedy recovery.
HBD KELLY SLATER & JORDY SMITH
- And for the legends, a very happy birthday to Kelly Slater, who turns 48 today and Jordy Smith, who turns 32.