Today, February 11 2020, the WSL presented the Nazaré Tow Surfing Challenge Presented by Jogos Santa Casa. This is the first, team-oriented big wave tow-in event in the league's history.
19 big wave surfers from around the globe - 17 men and 2 women - will be paired up in tow teams.
They competed in a six-hour expression session with no elimination.
- The session featured a rotating heat format and priority system that kept five teams in the water at all times.
Unique to this event, the final results will be determined by an athlete-led judging panel and four honors will be awarded:
- Men's Wave of the Day
- Women's Wave of the Day
- Team Champions
- The Jogos Santa Casa Commitment Award
Later tonight at an athlete reception, the day's top performances will be shown on the big screen, and each competitor will privately vote for their favorites. The final voting tally will determine the winners, as judged by their elite, heavy-water peers.
Group A: Heats 1, 3 & 5
1.Team Australia (Yellow): Axier Muniain (EUK; Regular) & Mick Corbett (AUS; Regular)
2.Team World (White): Sebastian Steudtner (DEU; Goofy) & Maya Gabeira (BRA; Goofy)
3.Team Atlantic (Brown): Grant Baker (ZAF; Regular) & João De Macedo (PRT; Goofy)
4.Team Europe (Purple): Nic von Rupp (PRT; Goofy) & Francisco Porcella (ITA;Goofy)
5.Team France (Powder): Benjamin Sanchis (FRA; Regular) & Eric Rebiere (FRA; Goofy)
Group B: Heats 2, 4 & 6
1. Team Young Bulls (Blue): Lucas Chianca (BRA; Goofy) & Kai Lenny(HAW; Regular)
2. Team Portugal (Black): Alex Botelho (PRT; Regular) & Hugo Vau (PRT; Goofy)
3. Team Justine (Pink): Justine Dupont (FRA; Regular) surfer only/Fred David driver only
4. Team Brazil (Green): Rodrigo Koxa (BRA; Goofy) & Pedro Scooby (BRA; Goofy)
5. Team Great Britain (Red): Andrew Cotton (GBR; Regular) & Tom Butler (GBR; Goofy)