With the WSL's commitment to leave every place better than we found it, WSL PURE is excited to have Shiseido's support to improve the sand dunes in Hossegor, France. Together WSL PURE and Shiseido hosted an educational dune planting activation led by Hossegor City Council focused on informing people locally and globally on how to protect the dunes at their local beaches.
Saturday, October 5th, Shiseido Blue Project Ambassador Kanoa Igrashi joined WSL PURE Ambassadors Courtney Conlogue, Conner Coffin, and Johanne Defay to plant native beach grass on a local sand dune in Hossegor. When these plants grow, they will help strengthen the dune against future damage caused by stronger winds and waves as a result of climate change. In light of this great work, WSL PURE and Shiseido will continue to commit funds to supporting the Hossegor City Council in their efforts to restore the sand dunes in the area.
Restoring these dunes are critically important for several reasons:
- The dunes act as natural coastal protection against storms and large waves.
- Prevent and/or reduce coastal flooding and beach erosion.
- Provide important ecological habitat.
- Act as sand storage areas, supplying sand to eroded beaches and sand bars during storms.
- Protect coastal property and prevent inland structural damage.
Here are a few key tips on what you can do to protect your local dunes:
- Always follow local signage.
- Stay on designated paths/walkways and stay off sensitive dune areas.
- Volunteer with a local environmental group focused on planting beach grass, installing fencing, creating paths to prevent trampling of the dunes.
Join us in our mission to #StopTrashingWaves and pledge your commitment to leave every place better than it was found at wslpure.org! In addition, view more photos from the day via Instagram at @wslpure and on Facebook within our Restoring Sand Dunes in France album.