Conditions have aligned, the Nazaré Tow Surfing Challenge Presented by Jogos Santa Casa has been put on Green Alert and tow-teams from across the globe are about to take part in the first-ever team-oriented big wave tow-in event in League history.
The official competitor list is comprised of 17 men and 2 women, who will compete in a four-hour expression session with no elimination, with an option to run longer if conditions are right.
The session will feature a rotating heat format and priority system that keeps five teams in the water at all times. Each tow team will get two, one-hour heats to whip each other into waves of mind-boggling heights, and will be scored by an athlete-led judging panel.
Group A: Heats 1, 3 & 5
1.Team Australia (Yellow): Axier Muniain (EUK; Regular) & Mick Corbett (AUS; Regular)
2.Team World (White): Sebastian Steudtner (DEU; Goofy) & Maya Gabeira (BRA; Goofy)
3.Team Atlantic (Brown): Grant Baker (ZAF; Regular) & João De Macedo (PRT; Goofy)
4.Team Europe (Purple): Nic von Rupp (PRT; Goofy) & Francisco Porcella (ITA;Goofy)
5.Team France (Powder): Benjamin Sanchis (FRA; Regular) & Eric Rebiere (FRA; Goofy)
Group B: Heats 2, 4 & 6
1. Team Young Bulls (Blue): Lucas Chianca (BRA; Goofy) & Kai Lenny(HAW; Regular)
2. Team Portugal (Black): Alex Botelho (PRT; Regular) & Hugo Vau (PRT; Goofy)
3. Team Justine (Pink): Justine Dupont (FRA; Regular) surfer only/Fred David driver only
4. Team Brazil (Green): Rodrigo Koxa (BRA; Goofy) & Pedro Scooby (BRA; Goofy)
5. Team Great Britain (Red): Andrew Cotton (GBR; Regular) & Tom Butler (GBR; Goofy)