"We are waiting for scan results to return before confirming an official diagnosis, but his 2015 Quiksilver Pro France campaign has unfortunately come to an end," said Dave Prodan, VP of Communications for the World Surf League (WSL). "Whatever the diagnosis, we wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him return to the CT in 2016."
Muniz, who fell off the Championship Tour (CT) at the end of last year, was competing in France as a replacement for Taj Burrow (AUS). The Brazilian was battling John John Florence (HAW) and Jeremy Flores (FRA) when a heavy tube closed out on him.
"He was in the barrel and the foamball came from behind him and twisted his knee awkwardly," said WSL Medical Director Chris Prosser after Muniz had been assessed on site. "He felt a pop and he lost some power in his leg."
"He's in pain in movement," Prosser continued. "He's actually relatively calm and relaxed when he's at rest and the knee is supported." Muniz was transported to a hospital in nearby Bayonne for further assessment.
Currently No. 4 on the men's QS rankings, as of date of publish Muniz is almost assured a spot back on the elite Tour for 2016. Depending on if and when he can get back in the water and how the other top QS surfers perform, that ranking could shift before season's end. He's made frequent appearances this year as a replacement surfer, and also won the Ballito Pro, a points-rich QS contest that ran in South Africa in July.
Muniz was slated to surf against Italo Ferreira (BRA) in Round 2, Heat 5. In his absence, Ferreira advanced straight to Round 3.
Catch the rest of the men's Quik Pro contest live daily on the WSL website and mobile app through October 17 local time.