Event Information -
The Corona Piha Pro marks professional surfing's triumphant return to New Zealand. Piha, on the West Coast of NZ's North Island is a 45-minute drive from Auckland city and is capable of producing world-class waves. Being the second Challenger Series event of the 2020 season, the Corona Piha Pro will play an all-important part in elite Championship Tour qualification.
Event Window -
13-14 March 2020 Piha Pro Junior pres. by Sky Sports 15 March 2020 New Zealand Trials 16- 22 March 2020 Corona Piha Pro Challenger Series
Piha, Auckland, New Zealand
Venue Map: - Where will the event site be located?
Event Schedule: TBD, check back closer to the event
Parking and Transportation -
Due to expected traffic congestion and limited parking while the Piha Pro takes place, vehicle access into Piha township will be restricted to Vehicle Pass holders only. As a result, we recommend carpooling as much as possible to ensure maximum value for attendees.
People who are coming to watch the event will need to book a Vehicle Passt online through www.iTicket.co.nz and select the day/s they wish to attend. Make sure to get in quick as these vehicle access passes are limited.
Each vehicle will be scanned through a managed access point located at the turn-off to Karekare Road and Piha Road. Please clearly display your pass on the front windscreen/dashboard of your vehicle.
Your Pass also includes a designated car park. Please park here on the day and adhere to all signage and directions given by event staff. Once you have parked your car, leave it in the designated car park for the duration of your visit. Walking around Piha is recommended.
Once in Piha, access to Piha Beach will be free of charge.
Alternatively, the Corona Piha Pro will be shown live on Sky Sport and the Sky Sport Now app in New Zealand.
What To Bring -
- Pen (for autographs)
- Reusable water bottle
What Not To Bring -
- Single use plastics
Food and Beverage -
Various food and coffee vendors will be activating onsite. There will also be a public Corona Bar.
- This is a sustainable event. Single use plastics are banned. Remember to bring your reusable drink bottles to fill up from supplied water tanks and keep cups for any hot drinks during the event
- Please minimise your rubbish at the event and recycle in appropriate bins.
- The council parks and beaches are smoke-free and the event is smoke-free
- No dogs are permitted on the event site
- Please keep off sand dunes at all times to protect the dune biodiversity
- The area has been affected by kauri dieback disease. Please clean soil off your footwear and other gear every time you enter or leave an area with native trees, and at every cleaning station
- Please be careful when walking along public tracks in the Piha area. Some of the tracks require sturdy footwear. Please keep on the tracks for your safety.
- Act with caution and sensitivity around the wildlife such as the Grey-face Petrels, Dotterels, Tui, Kereru, Fantails and Blue-face Penguins
- Piha is often frequented by Māui dolphins, which is an endangered species. We ask that if you see a Māui dolphin, please report it to the event organisers and to the Department of Conservation by calling 0800 DOC HOT (0800 362 468)
- This is a fire-ban area. No fireworks or open fires please
Additional Key Information:
- Please note that there is no petrol station in Piha so we encourage you to fill up the tank before you hit the road
- If you're planning on having a swim, a reminder to do so between the flags and not in the competition area
- Also don't forget to bring a pair of shoes because Piha's famous black sand can get hot
- There are no public transport options to Piha
- Please note that drones, single use plastics and BYO alcohol are prohibited at the event
Event Partners -
- NZ Major Events
- Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development
- Harvey Norman
For more information you can contact us at email@example.com or visit our WSL Piha Pro Facebook Page
Disclaimer Because of the unpredictable nature of surfing, there are no guarantees the competition will run if the conditions prevent it. In the event that competition is delayed or cancelled on a particular day, you are welcome to attend as the event will be open, with activations and activities operating as normal. Please keep an eye out for competition cancellations or delays on our Facebook page. Important note: Once you have purchased your vehicle access parking permit, a refund cannot be issued.
Please note; we are unable to advise who will be competing at which time throughout the event due to the unpredictable nature of the schedule.